Thursday, June 21, 2007

BOOZE GOT THE BETTER OF ME

Take a look at the blog, Thank You Isiah, to get a good sense of the ridiculous bets I am willing to make when I am drunk. This is a website devoted to all news pertaining to the Chicago Bulls, so you might be wondering how I ever got involved in a drunken bet with one of their writers? Well apparently they had to explain it to their readers as well. Here is an excerpt from a posting from my friend Brian Cook, who apparently writes for TYI:


"How is any of this Bulls-related, you ask? Good question, and I have an even better answer. Although I'm sure he hopes I've forgotten, this past December, Tim made me a drunken $20 wager that Luol Deng would never average 20 points a game over a full season. (I initially said that he would one day average 25, but Tim was audacious, perhaps magnanimous enough to lower that to 20.) I'm expecting that to happen by the end of the '07-'08 season, so three or four of my drinks at my high school's annual reunion in December 2008 are going to be courtesy of Tim. I'm looking forward to them."

Well Brian after watching Deng dismantle the Heat in the playoffs, I have a feeling I am going to be mailing you $20, yet my manhood will not let me beg for a take back. Many things can happen to deter Deng from getting that 20 a game, like him getting traded to LA for Kobe or someone else on his team being traded for Kobe. No chance Deng ever gets 20ppg with a guy like Kobe on the team. Till Deng gets 20 a game, I will think of myself as the winner of this bet. Cook, looks like you owe me a lot of drinks this Christmas.

1 comment:

BenGo07 said...

I'm filing a protest on this. The bet was NOT that Deng would average 20 points in the 06-07 season. It was that SOMEDAY Deng would average 20 points a season. Until he a) does so or b) retires without ever doing so, the bet lives on, in a state of indeterminate fluidity.

As for Kobe, I don't know if the Bulls will get him or not, but it's still possible for Deng to average 20 even with him as a teammate. He and Shaq managed to co-exist for a little while, and I would guess that after playing with the likes of Luke Walton and, uh, me, he won't mind dishing out assists to a slasher like Luol. And if Deng does get traded to the Lakers, he will EASILY average 20 a game. Who else can score on that team?